Tuesday, August 19, 2008

14 pacifiers is too many!

This blog is mostly for cute pictures of Gael with little captions, but maybe some of you mothers out there can help me with something not so cute. I used to say all Gael needed was two healthy and happy parents and he'd be doing pretty well (and of course a car-seat or they won't let you leave the hospital). I seriously considered delivering at home, but chickened out. And letting Gael sleep in a drawer on the floor, the idea of which so horrified my niece Maya that she won on a wishbone and wished for Gael to have a crib. So, a crib and a car seat, that's it right? Well, my sister bought us a pack and play which saved us many trips up and down the stairs for diaper changes, and my very knowledgeable mother friends have shared great gifts and ideas.
But, back to my problem...his crib is one of 5 mini-play stations around the house because I can't deal with him sleeping in another room from me. And today I made my fourth attempt to find a car seat that will fit both my child and my car while still allowing my husband to sit in one of the front seats. Now the crib and the car seat are important purchases that I'm sure I will get right eventually; however each time I go to a baby store I buy more "accessories" the worst of which has to be my addiction to buying pacifiers and diaper bags. It's out of control! But, I feel better having made this confession.

2 comments:

amosclarkson said...

You're too funny....I never bought pacifiers because we only gave him the soothies and he quit using those at 4 months. No additional diaper bags, either, because they are too expensive :) But, I DO end up buying more than I probably need and certainly more than what I intended when I go to Babies R Us. That's probably because I walk up & down the aisles afraid I am forgetting something....just can't win!

Good Life said...

Sounds like a first time mother with too much money. I know that's harsh but a baby needs food and love and safety. That's it. Your cousin Amanda refused pacifiers and we never even tried with the others. Don't get too used to buying things. Life takes funny turns. An Exec. VP can become a Missouri farmer. And even at that the house gets full. Things just don't "wear out" anymore. Even when he's older and able to beg, don't just buy everything, buy what he really desires but there is something to be said for waiting to see if it's something he really desires. Things are very shallow. Time is far more valuable. He really doesn't care if you carry is diapers in a grocery store bag. He does care if he feels the warmth of your body. He does care if he hears the sound of your voice. As he becomes older those won't change. Oh, he'll want the latest cloths and toys, but time is still the thing that he needs as much as air. Limit those toys and cloths. He needs to learn to cherish what he gets. If he gets everything, nothing is of value and memorable. There will be a mental searching for that value.

Uncle Roger